Sunday, June 8, 2008

Veteran's interview

Hoshide san is doing a great job in space. I am happy to see his smiling face on TV! I can't wait to hear about his mission when he gets back.

A few days ago, I interviewed Mr. Masazumi Utada, an 88-year-old veteran of World War II. It was part of my volunteer work. I have been a member of NGO called "Senjyo taiken eizo hozon kai"--an organization which tries to preserve videos of ex-soldiers' interviews.


Mr. Utada was sent to New Guinea in 1944 and survived in the severe condition. Since the Japanese military had no way to send food, medicine, nor weapons to the soldiers, so many people died in the jungle due to the starvation and malaria. He said they ate anything that looked edible, such as weed, frogs, snakes, grasshoppers, maggot, even their own shoes...

He also told us how they had killed native people and how sorry he was.


After two hours of interview, Mr. Utada said, "We must not go into war again. Never!" I believe we the younger generations must learn from the history and carry on the messages.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, kay.
It's been a long time that I never send you the message cuz I am always busy with my schoolwork.
But I did preview all of ur articles.
I feel happy that u had a good trip in France.
Indeed, I couldn't agree more that wars should not be happened anymore.
Whenever I see the war happened on Tv, no matter what the country it is, I always feel terrible and sad.
I can't understand why there are so many bad guys would like to start a war.
Taiwanese people do show much concern about the relationship between China and Taiwan cuz we are afraid of the war will happen again.
I hope we can enjoy the peace forever!

Ives Meng

Anonymous said...

Hi Kay!

In war there are no real winners, just real losers.

Terror mustn't be fought with terror. There's nothing that can be solved through diplomacy and the willingness of the people to have real change for the better.

Not just Japan, but the rest of the world mustn't go to war. Never again will there be future Iraqs and Vietnams.

I share my thoughts with Ms. Meng. Taiwan and China are our next door neighbors and friends. I'm afraid for both peoples of Taiwan and China in case war broke out.

Let's give peace a chance!

Yasashii kokoro ga ichiban daisetsu...

Anonymous said...

To JM

I am not a female but a male.
Maybe my manner of speaking is just like a female, haha^^".

Ives Meng

Kay said...

Ives and JM
Thank you for your message. As I interview veterans, I also study more about comfort women and victims of forced labors taken by Japan from Korea, Taiwan, China, and many other countries during WWII, because it is important to hear and learn from both sides. There are so many people who are still suffering from terrible experiences...
You are right. We should never go to war. If we could all respect each other's culture, beliefs, and people, we could make a peaceful world.
Here is a lylic of the John Lennon's song "Imagine"

"You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one"