Saturday, May 31, 2008

Exotic Japan?



I found these dolls at a shop in Nice.
I think they supposed to be Japanese geisha but ...hmmm... When I watched a Hollywood movie "Sayuri" I felt the same way.
It is great that people in other countries are interested in Japanese culture but I think it is important to let them know the REAL culture.
So many foreign people can't tell the differences of Japanese, Chinese, or Korean. After all, we are all Asian. Maybe it is the same everywhere. I can't recognize cultural differences of African countries, to be honest.
But if I decided to make a movie or a doll of that country, I would research them and try to make them with much respect. What do you think?
Anyway, in early morning of June 1st Japan time, Japanese astronaut Mr. Akihiko Hoshide is going to the space!! I am quite excited because he is my friend. When I was hosting a TV show about 5 years ago, he was one of our guest. Mr. Hoshide and I got along pretty well and have kept in touch ever since. He invited me to the Kennedy Space Center to see him off but I couldn't arrange the schedule...
So, I am getting up early tomorrow morning to watch his shuttle to launch on TV. Ganbatte!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kay!

Yes, it is true that many people are confused on which is Chinese, Japanese, or Korean. Even here in my country, many people are also confused which is which, who is who.

We used to have a similar doll many years ago until I was a toddler some 14 years ago. It was made of ceramic and we displayed it on top of the TV until it was sold as second-hand.

I would like to extend my prayers and well wishes to Mr. Hoshide for his safe mission in space and re-entry to Earth!

^-^