Friday, May 9, 2008

Japanese dance

I have studied Japanese Dance ("Nihon buyo" or "Nichibu") quite a while. We had a performance the other day. I danced "Urashima", a dance based on Japanese old tale "Urashima Taro", and "Tsukiji Akashicho" which is based on a picture of Geisha painted by Kiyokata Kaburaki.
"Urashima" is Otoko Odori (a male dance) and "Tsukiji Akashicho" is a female dance.
It was difficult dancing totally opposite kinds of dance....But my friends who came to see the performance seemed to enjoy them.

Now I feel sore all over my body!!


4 comments:

Kuya Fuji said...

That costume looks nice on you! I learned that Japanese dances are hard to learn because of the meticulous details needed for both aesthetic and performance purposes.

I've seen a kabuki before and I was told that some of the "females" who performed are actually males! Why are males allowed to take roles of females in kabuki?

JM

Anonymous said...

Hello, Kay,

You look so beautiful. I wish I could have watched you dancing.
Actually, I haven't seen Japanese Dance before in my life.

Next time you perform the dance, would you let us know that on this blog ahead of time?
Even so, it seems difficult for me to see you, though.

Write to you again.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your success in your dance performance!
The kimonos look really good on you, so beautiful and cool.
What kind of manner of dance (I mean“Ryuugi”in Japanese)do you belong to?
Mayu

Kay said...

JM
In fact, in Kabuki, all actors are males. So, of course male actors play both male and female roles. If you want to know more, you can write to WI asking for Ms. Jean Wilson, a Kabuki commentator, to talk about it or check
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabuki

Takashi
Thank you very much!
OK, I will let you guys know ahead of time from now on. But don't you live in Tottori??? (^^;)

Mayu
Thank you. I am learning Hanayagi ryu dance. Once I thought about taking a test to become Natori, but it is too costly that I decided not to do it...