Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Matsuri!



It is summer festival season!


A lot of places in Japan have Matsuri this time of the year, close to Obon.

Asagaya where my theater company have rehearsals has Tanabata matsuri this week. You may think tanabata is in July but some regions have the festival based on the Japanese lunisolar calendar, which is about a month behind the current calendar.


Inside of the shopping arcade, colorful decorations and lantern are hung. There are also some unique figures, like the one in the picture.

]It is Ponyo, a popular charactor of the new Hayao Miyazaki's animation film.


The street was so crowded that I could hardly walk! But it was fun looking at stands and decorations!





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totemo sugoi, Kay-san!

I love being in Matsuris. The colors, the food, the people, all mix in a melting pot of sights, tastes, smells, and sounds.

We Nikkei-jin friends had our Tanabata at one of our friend's house. We tied or wishes on the bamboo stalks and partied all night long.

Whenever I'm in a matsuri, I never fail to try out many things like koi fishing using round paper catchers, picking out the candy from a bunch of strings, and having a taste of popular matsuri dishes like takoyaki, yakisoba, and oden. I'll cap it off with a bottle of ice cold ramune.

I haven't seen Obon myself but I love to someday. As I've told you before on World Interactive, we remember our dead on November 1st. Aside from visiting the graves of our loved ones, we also have fun telling ghost stories. I tell you Kay, the cemeteries here have a festive mood during this day and not a solemn one.

^-^

Anonymous said...

Since some days before and after November 1st are holidays, students like me usually relax and exchange stories with our classmates thru SMS.

Besides, some people also manage to sneak in a pack of cards and a bottle of liquor. Instead of praying, they are already playing at the top of one the dead's tombs.

Kay said...

JM
You sure know a lot about Japanese festivals!
Only the fish we catch is kingyo (gold fish) rather than koi(carp). Koi would be too big! (^^)

Jayson
I guess for most of younger generations, a holiday is just another day off from work and school... Same here.

Anonymous said...

Oh, silly me... ^ ^;

I often mistake the goldfish as koi too haha. And of course I also try out many of the games there where you can win small prizes.

And at night, we huddle on the river bank to watch the fireworks. Though it was so noisy, we sure indeed had a colorful night.

I also recommend you to experience some of the festivals here, just tell when you're coming! ^-^