Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Birthday

As Takashi mentioned, my birthday used to be always "Respect for the Aged Day" until 5 years ago but because of the Happy Monday system, it hadn't been a holiday for a while.
Although this year, since the 15th was Monday, I could enjoy a day off on my birthday.

So, I went to see a movie called "Okuribito" which won the top jury prize at the Montreal World Film Festival. It was very good. I don't know how many times my tears rolled down my cheeks...

The film is about an out-of-work cellist who returns to his hometown, Yamagata prefecture, and becomes an undertaker...to be precise, a profession who cleans, dresses, and puts make up on remains. It was interesting enough to learn about that job and rituals. All of the actors are great except Ryoko Hirosue...she seems too young as a wife of the main charactor.
Anyway, if you get a chance, please watch the film!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you made the most of your time and really enjoyed your birthday!

I've heard of the movie before but haven't got any chance to watch it. The last time I was in the movies was during the Eiga-sai organized by the Japanese Embassy in Manila.

What a coincidence, I was in the cafe where I always hang-out and my barista friends who work there and I were talking about the funeral industry since it's a profitable but very difficult to market business. It's very interesting to know that having a funeral parlor or a crematorium is a profitable business but isn't marketed to the public due to its very morbid nature.

^ ^;

PS. If you want to read my own birthday account, here it is http://tekitomyum.blogspot.com/2008/09/very-aromatic-birthday.html

Pardon me for the rantings! ^ ^;

Anonymous said...

Belated happy birthday! Sorry for not replying to your posts recently. I am very busy with my studies as of the moment...

Well, typhoons have been coming more frequently since August towards Northern Philippines, and typhoon Jangmi is one of them. Those previous typhoons suspended our classes(naturally, most of the students in the locality are very happy being again on vacation after several days of brainstorming), but we are now having make-up classes every Saturday.

Before I forget, news programs being aired here in the Philippines are beginning to give tips on shopping, security, etc for the incoming Christmas season, even if it's still a few months away...Whew, how time flies!vcfkx

Kay said...

JM
I read your blog. It's nice that you get to spend good time with your friend.
Yes, please watch the movie if it plays in Manila.

Jayson
Another typhoon had landed there on 27th, right? Were you OK? It is coming to Japan now... Hope it won't give us a big damage.

Christmas?? It's still September!! WOW!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kay!

Like I've said to you before on World Interactive, the Philippines has the longest observation of Christmas in the world. ^-^

On September 1st, the shopping malls begin to decorate Christmas motifs and sell items for Christmas shopping.

On radio, Chiistmas songs are being played and TV networks begin to flash their Christmas countdowns.

Christmas doesn't really end till January 6th. ^-^